Saturday 14 May 2016

3D Review – Lying About Last Summer - Author Interview with Sue Wallman

As part of our 3D review of newly published Lying About Last Summer we have an interview with author Sue Wallman.



What was your favourite children’s book as a child?

Ballet Shoes by Noel Streatfeild. I read it to my girls when they were little and I was surprised by how convoluted and wordy the sentences were – I didn’t remember that at all. I also binge-read Enid Blyton, The Little House on the Prairie books by Laura Ingalls Wilder and frankly anything else I could lay my hands on. I wish there’d been a Young Adult section in the bookshop and library when I was growing up.



What is your favourite children’s book as an adult?

Maggot Moon by Sally Gardener. Beautiful and devastating. The perfect mix.




What do you think makes children’s books so inspirational?

They have the potential to make a huge impact. The ones that resonate stay with you all your life.


Why did you start writing for children?

When I was trying to find my authorial voice, I had several false starts before I realised I really wanted to write Young Adult fiction.

What made you want to write ‘Lying about Last Summer’?

I liked the idea of something bad happening in an idyllic setting. I wasn’t very sure what I was writing at the beginning but I knew it was about loss in some shape or form. I’d written too much character-led stuff before so I worked really hard on the psychological/thriller angle. 




What is your favourite aspect of writing for children?

Creating a world that teenagers can escape into. It feels exciting. But also daunting because I know that when I meet my readers they won’t hold back on what they thought of the book.


‘Lying about Last Summer’, deals with some very serious issues, was it difficult getting the portrayal and messages of them right?

That aspect didn’t feel difficult. Perhaps because I have teenage daughters and know to a certain extent what their generation has to deal with, and what worries them.


How much research did you do for ‘Lying about Last Summer’?

Bits and pieces along the way. The camp at Morley Hill was created from a mix of various places I’ve stayed at, observing adventurous activities my daughters have done, and some online research. The girls have laughed long and hard about how much I appear to know so much about paintballing and high ropes etc because these are most definitely outside my comfort zone.


Come back tomorrow to read our interview with 'Lying about Last Summer's editor Lucy Rogers!


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?